Wayne State University; Buildings; Old Main; Recent

1961-05-17

Circa 1960s. Exterior image of Old Main viewed from behind and to the side of building from Warren Avenue. Malcomson and Higginbotham, 1896. Originally Central High School, Old Main is Wayne State’s place of origin and now a university icon. The stately Romanesque Revival composition is softened by the buff-colored brick. Under the leadership of David Mackenzie, a junior college was begun in the building in 1917. In 1926, high school classes left the building and the growing college took over all the space in the stately structure. Dated May 17, 1961.


Additional Information