Wayne State University; Buildings; Old Main; Recent

1953-05-29

Circa 1950s. Exterior image of Old Main viewed from behind and to the side of building from Second Avenue. The Castle is around the center of image. Malcomson and Higginbotham, 1896. Originally Central High School, Old Main is Wayne State’s place of origin and now a university icon. The stately Romanesque Revival composition is softened by the buff-colored brick. Under the leadership of David Mackenzie, a junior college was begun in the building in 1917. In 1926, high school classes left the building and the growing college took over all the space in the stately structure. Dated May 29, 1953.


Additional Information