Wayne State University; Buildings; Old Main; Recent
See more! Click to view other items that share this title
Some content, including the item here, have similar titles. This type of overlap many times has origins in the item's original physical form. For example, with the Virtual Motor City Collection, photographs were grouped in envelopes with a few descriptive words written on the front. Those words then formed the basis for titles.
Circa 1960s. Exterior image of Old Main. View from Cass and Warren looking south. Malcomson and Higginbotham, 1896. Originally Central High School, Old Main is Wayne State’s place of origin and now a university icon. The stately Romanesque Revival composition is softened by the buff-colored brick. Under the leadership of David Mackenzie, a junior college was begun in the building in 1917. In 1926, high school classes left the building and the growing college took over all the space in the stately structure. Dated June 1967.