Wayne State University; Buildings; Old Main; Recent

1958-05

Circa 1950s. Exterior image of Old Main. View from Cass and Warren looking south. Malcomson and Higginbotham, 1896. Originally Central High School, Old Main is Wayne State’s place of origin and now a university icon. The stately Romanesque Revival composition is softened by the buff-colored brick. Under the leadership of David Mackenzie, a junior college was begun in the building in 1917. In 1926, high school classes left the building and the growing college took over all the space in the stately structure. Dated May 1958.


Additional Information