Wayne State University; Buildings; McGregor Memorial, Dedication

1962-06-22

Circa 1960s. Exterior image of building. Three women relax in Japanese gardens with the McGregor to the right and Education Building in background. Dated June 22, 1962. Minoru Yamasaki and Associates, 1958. One of Yamasaki’s masterpieces and believed by many to be among Detroit’s finest buildings. The 2 story nearly symmetrical pavilion is sheathed in warm travertine marble. The interior contains 2 levels of conference rooms that are arranged to either side of a sky lighted entry hall and lounge which has the feeling of a gothic cathedral. A triangular geometric motif forms a decorative pattern throughout. The metal pattern recalls an Asian models of architecture and landscape design.


Additional Information