Wayne State University; Buildings; McGregor Memorial, Dedication

1956-12-17

Circa 1950s. Groundbreaking of building. Date December 17,1956. In image Dr. Clarence Hilberry, Dean Arthur Neef and K.T. Keller. Minoru Yamasaki and Associates, 1958. One of Yamasaki’s masterpieces and believed by many to be among Detroit’s finest buildings. The 2 story nearly symmetrical pavilion is sheathed in warm travertine marble. The interior contains 2 levels of conference rooms that are arranged to either side of a sky lighted entry hall and lounge which has the feeling of a gothic cathedral. A triangular geometric motif forms a decorative pattern throughout. The metal pattern recalls an Asian models of architecture and landscape design.


Additional Information