Pale lavender-pink faille gown from the early twentieth century
Woman's pale lavender-pink faille gown. The bodice has a high collared lace dickie, and elbow length sleeves. Bretelles over each shoulder are embroidered with pale pink chain stitches, gold flowers, lavender and blue grapes, and green leaves. The natural waistband is also trimmed with chain stitches, and an oval leaf crest. The A-line skirt is slightly longer in back with two crossed panels in the front that are embriodered with a pale pink abstract floral design at the hem. The back panel is plain. A short embroidered panel with two buttons is at the waist on the back left side. The dress hooks down the back. The gown belonged to the donor's mother, Mrs. James R. Hayes. Mr. Hayes was proprietor of the Wayne Hotel from the 1880s until 1918. The dress was made by Bertha A. Krenz whose shop was on High Street (Vernor).