Man driving 1899 Packard Model A
8x10 black and white photograph of first Packard. Inscribed on photo back: driven on campus of Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa. after car was shipped there in autumn of a 1930 for permanent exhibition in lobby of the James Ward Packard Laboratory of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering. Car is 1-cylinder, 9-horsepower, 71.5-inch wheelbase, 2-person roadster completed Nov. 6, 1899. Body by Morgan & Williams, Warren, Ohio. The restored car has a solid engine compartment door (original had louvers) and is missing original fittings such as side lamps, lamp attached to center of front cross springs, and dos-a-dos seat mounted on rear deck.